My latest favorite sweet thing to bake is fruit crumble, because it's fast, easy and doesn't make a mess. Aside from that, with oats and apples it's downright healthy compared to many dessert indulgences this time of year.
This isn't a picture of the actual mixed berry crumble cooling on my stovetop at the moment - it has pecans instead of almonds - but it's the same thing: a BH (big handful - maybe 2/3 cup) plain flour, a BH of old fashioned oats, a half-cup or so of brown sugar (use either light or dark), and a half-cup or so chopped nuts mixed with 6 tablespoons of butter that's been melted in my favorite skillet.
Into the buttery skillet I toss a pound or two of fruit - the one in the picture has a pound bag of frozen mixed berries from WalMart with the remains of a couple of bags of frozen strawberries and blueberries thrown in for good measure - a tablespoon of lemon juice, a quarter cup'ish of white sugar, and a sprinkle (or fifteen) of cinnamon.
When I use apples, because apples ARE wonderful under this topping, I use 3 big ones or 4 medium-sized ones, brown sugar, fifteen times more cinnamon, and maybe a sprinkle of allspice.
When I use apples, because apples ARE wonderful under this topping, I use 3 big ones or 4 medium-sized ones, brown sugar, fifteen times more cinnamon, and maybe a sprinkle of allspice.
Add the topping and pop everything into a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes, and you've got dessert.
I've probably made a dozen crumbles since mid-fall when the The New York Times published their version, which can be found *here* and makes enough to feed an army. I split it and have wiggled it back and forth enough time that the version written out above is truly my own official version.

No comments:
Post a Comment